12 million EV charging stations will be required in 2030 – Download the report
EEI Projects need for 12 million charging stations for Electric Vehicles that will be on the U.S. Roads in 2030
EEI has released an update to its Electric Vehicle Sales and the Charging Infrastructure Required Through 2030 report. Originally released in 2018 with the Institute for Electric Innovation, the updated report details new insights into the coming wave of electric vehicle (EV) sales and the charging infrastructure needed to support the projected EV growth.
The report concludes that:
- The number of EVs on U.S. roads is projected to reach 26.4 million in 2030, up from the projected 18.7 million in the 2018 report.
- The projected 26.4 million EVs will make up nearly 10 percent of the 259 million light-duty vehicles (cars and light trucks) expected to be on U.S. roads in 2030.
- It took eight years to sell one million EVs and fewer than three years to sell the next million. EEI projects the next one million EVs will be sold by the end of 2022.
- Annual sales of EVs will be nearly 5.6 million in 2030, reaching more than 32 percent of annual light-duty vehicle sales in 2030. Compared to the 2018 forecast, this is an increase of more than 1.8 million in annual sales in 2030.
- Nearly 12.9 million charge ports will be needed to support the projected 26.4 million EVs that will be on U.S. roads in 2030.
- Approximately 140,000 DC fast charging ports will be needed to support the level of EVs expected to be on U.S. roads in 2030.
This consensus forecast is based on four independent forecasts performed by Boston Consulting Group, Deloitte, Guidehouse, and Wood Mackenzie, as well as analysis from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
The report also highlights the continuous work of the National Electric Highway Coalition (NEHC). Since its formation in December 2021, the NEHC has grown to more than 60 investor-owned electric companies, public power utilities, and electric cooperatives, which, to date, have committed to supporting the deployment of more than 4,500 DC fast charging ports.
Rent your ev charger to help the ev community, Search and book your next ev charging near you at https://chargerzilla.com